So I was looking into leadership opportunities for Greek Students (And several for non-greek students) and I wanted to compile a list of some options to look into:
1) The North-American Interfraternity Conference (NIC) offers a ton of opportunities from UIFI to IMPACT and more. These are chances for both under grad and graduate as well as professionals to be involved. Find a full list of NIC Programs here.
2) A Second opportunity would be through LeaderShape. I personally had some incredible opportunities to be involved with this one myself as an undergrad and you can be involved on a campus or national level. Find more info about the program here.
3) I would also like to offer I-LEAD as an option. The Institution for Leadership Education and Development is a program through the Association of College Unions International (ACUI).
4) The Association of Fraternity/Sorority Advisors (AFA) also offers some great opportunities. Being a members as a professional is a great chance to attend meetings and make valuable connections. As a grad student, you can also apply to serve as a part of the grad staff.
5) Don’t forget the Association of Fraternal Leadership & Values (AFLV) either. They offer some great opportunities as does the National Black Greek Leadership Conference (NBGLC) (NBGLC is a part of AFLV).
When it comes to leadership, there are a number of other important elements to keep in mind such as service, hazing, and remaining relevant, not to mention logistics. I would also like to recommend some further reading if you are the ambitious leader that truly wants to improve your organization. Try a few of the titles below:
Finally, read up. Look into transformational leadership, situational leadership, service learning, followership, and much much more.
As Derek Sivers says, know the elements that make a good leader:
And also know what Simon Sinek discusses, the Why of what you do: